Find a New Zealand tour
- City Experiences (6)
- Articles of Interest (6)
- The Best of New Zealand (6)
- Luxury New Zealand (3)
- South Island Touring (9)
- North Island Touring (9)
- Essential Info (9)
- Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth (6)
- Cultural Experiences (3)
- Scenic Trains, Flights & Tours (3)
- Adventure Travel (6)
- Walking, Hiking & Biking (6)
- Family Holidays (9)
- Things to Do (9)
- National Parks & Wildlife (9)
- Food & Wine Experiences (6)
The best things to do in Auckland before beginning your tour
There’s plenty things to do in Auckland if you’ve got a spare day either side of your tour. A super city perched on the edge of a large natural harbour, New Zealand's ‘City of Sails’ is a paradise of urban attractions, beaches, rainforest and volcanoes.
- The suburbs of Parnell and Ponsonby for boutique shops, New Zealand designers, galleries and upmarket eateries.
- The Sky Tower, standing at 328m high, for awe-inspiring views of the cityscape including volcanoes and the Auckland Harbour.
- The Auckland Museum for a history of New Zealand, the indigenous Maori people and the Treaty of Waitangi, our founding document.
- The Britomart Precinct, Auckland's newest shopping district with designer boutiques, bars and cafes.
- Clevedon and the Pohutukawa Coast for a taste of rural life. Stroll the quirky country stores have an ice-cream on the beach at Kawakawa Bay.
- The Muriwai Gannet Colony on the west coast of Auckland for an insider's look at the nesting habits of these remarkable birds.
- The Awhitu Peninsula, with vast panoramas over sandy cliffs, volcanic beaches and spectacular cliff-top roads.
- Karekare Beach on Auckland's West Coast of . A wide black-sand beach, Karekare is surrounded by lush native forest.
- Devonport, A historic seaside village with sandy beaches, volcanoes historic settlements and a bustling town centre.
- Kumeu Wine Country, to explore boutique wineries, orchards and rolling green farmland. Be sure to indulge in a spot of wine tasting.
- Rangitoto Island, New Zealand's youngest volcano, and walk ancient lava fields and native forest to reach the cone.
- The Hunua Ranges. Less than an hours drive from Auckland, this park is home to an abundance of streams, waterfalls, and has the largest native forest in Auckland.
- The sun at Mission Bay. Wander the promenade and order fish and chips from the renowned ‘Fish Pot’ to eat on the beach.
- The Polynesian atmosphere at the Otara Markets. If you're here on Saturday, head down the Southern Motorway for some colourful culture.
- A little ecology at Tiritiri Matangi, one of the most successful conservation in the world, home to many rare and native bird species.
- The sounds of a rainforest in the Waitakere Ranges, with more than 16,000 acres of ancient forest and sweeping coastline.
- The artisan atmosphere on Waiheke Island, a haven of olive groves, vineyards, beaches, quirky cafes and craft stores.
- The maritime vibe in Wynyard Quarter, the latest extension of Auckland's waterfront, filled with exciting marine attractions.